In the northeast of England , exactly in the Cumbria area, we find a place where we can relax surrounded by majestic trees and large lakes. It is the well-known Lake District, also known simply as Los Lagos or Lakeland.
This area occupies in its entirety a whopping 55 km and is made up of a total of 16 lakes. These lakes are the consequence of the thaw produced over many years in this area.
We have many places to visit, but we are going to detail a list of those that you cannot miss:
– Lake Windermere: It is the largest natural lake in England. Its measurements are impressive 10.5 miles long, one mile wide, and 220 feet deep. Numerous rivers flow into it.
The Romans built their fortress GALAVA at its northern end (Waterhead), and it has always been an important waterway for the transfer of heavy materials. It is an excellent center for boating activities, with more than 10,000 registered boats. Until March 2005 Windermere was the only lake without a speed limit, but they have had to limit the speed to 10 mph due to the large number of boats that navigate it.
– Rheged , the hill town
– Muncaster Castle .
– Cars of the Stars Museum , where you can see the collection of the best cars of all time.
– Ullswater Steamers , steamboats.
– South Lakes Nature Park .
– Aquarium of the Lakes.
– Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway .
– The World of Beatrix Potter .
The entire west coast and part of the eastern area is National Heritage .