To speak of Memphis (Tennessee) is to speak of a city with a very special connection to music, and it is that from here they are such important artists with Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin or BB King. Its main attraction is Graceland , the place where "The King of Rock" lived and which is visited by millions of people every year.
Memphis International Airport is about 5 kilometers to the south and is the airport with the highest volume of cargo in the world. It also has a train system that connects very well with several cities and that reaches New Orleans. Take note of the most interesting things you can find if you are going to travel to Memphis :
– Downtown is along the edge of a mountain towards the Mississippi River and there you can find the largest number of shopping centers in the city and a lot of events and activities.
– In the southern part of the center you find Beale Street , very important for Blues and where every Saturday you can enjoy a lot of concerts and performances with this type of music, especially in the BB King’s , Elvis Presley’s or the Hard Rock Cafe.
– If you like museums you can visit a few, the most important being the Chucalissa Museum (about the Indian people), the National Museum of Civil Rights, which includes the Lorrain Motel (a peculiar museum that was where Martin Luther King was assassinated and restored to make it the epicenter of Civil Rights in the city), the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art or the Magevney House (typical cabin in which they lived before the war).
– The Memphis Zoo is also a very good place to spend a day, especially if you are traveling with children. There you will find about 3,500 animals belonging to more than 500 species. To go with children, the Libertyland Amusement Park is also very good.
– And of course, nothing like renting a boat to travel a part of the Mississippi River.