The Qingdao Haiwan Bridge spans Jiaozhou Bay, just north of the port city of Qingdao and the Huangdao Industrial Zone. The bridge’s starting point begins in Qingdao-Lanzhou and ends at Red Cliff. The entire area is linked to the Jinan-Qingdao Expressway. In total it is 26.3 miles long. Its construction was carried out over 4 years.
The project was very complex since the bridge is located in the frozen sea region of North China, so it faces natural freezing about 50 times a year. The protection of the marine environment and the prevention of erosion of the bridge were also strong points during its construction. were other complexities. Here are some of its main characteristics :
– The width of the bridge is 35 meters and the height of 149 meters, which is equivalent to a 50-story building.
– It has 6 double track lanes and its maximum speed is 80 km / h.
– The bridge has maintained a double limitation of ships and airplanes. The highest point of navigation of a ship is 49 meters. The navigation point of an airplane is limited to 120 meters.
– It occupies the first place in the world of columns used in its construction since it has more than 5,000.
– The number of workers required for its construction was 20,000 and the cost of the project is estimated to have exceeded 2.3 billion dollars.
– It was the first construction in the world to use a special underlayment technology with concrete to avoid the appearance of cracks.