Gandía is an ideal place to visit at different times of the year, although perhaps the best dates are May, June and the beginning of autumn, since this way you can enjoy the place without the crowds that there are in the summer time. It is a beautiful place with a lot of fertile fields, mountains and spectacular valleys of Mediterranean vegetation. Access to the sea is very easy and it has many beaches. In the area there is a nice contrast between rural and urban areas .
Here are a few places of interest in Gandía and its surroundings:
– The regions of La Vall d’Albaida and La Costera are very good if you like excursions and hiking. You can go to Alt de les Creus, a viewpoint that is 580 meters high and from where you can see the entire coastline that goes from Valencia to Denia. Precious.
– In the inland area you have municipalities such as Castelló de Rugat , Albaida (visit the Palau dels Marquesos), Llutxent (see the Hábeas Christi Monastery), Ontinyent (mainly the old quarter), Bocairent (with a beautiful medieval quarter) or Simat (with the Monastery of Santa María de Valldigna as one of its greatest attractions).
– In Villalonga , also in the interior, you have to visit the «Circo de la Safor», an orographic wonder that has a horseshoe shape and is spectacular. There is also the «Barranc de l’Infern», a gorge limited by the Safor and La Cuta mountains and which has very interesting fauna and vegetation.
– Very close you also have Xátiva , a city that has great historical relevance and whose origins date back to 30,000 BC. It also has a Visigothic, Roman and Arab past. The most remarkable thing is a walled castle that belonged to the Borgia family.
– If you want to enjoy the sea, you can go to Gandía beach , which is next to the Grao and has an area of 5 kilometers. Further south you have other beaches such as Guardamar, Piles, Oliva or Bellreguard.