Yesterday I went to the cinema to see the movie "Debt", wonderful by the way, and one of the cities that comes out is Kiev , the capital of Ukraine . I loved the little that was seen of the city, so I thought I would write an article for today looking for the most interesting places you can visit there. It is clear that it is not a top tourist destination such as Paris, London or Rome, but it is a very interesting city both on a cultural and heritage level.
Here are a few places of interest in Kiev for you to visit if you are preparing your trip to the Ukrainian capital. Take note:
– Golden Gate : No, I have not suddenly changed to San Francisco, in Kiev you also have one although it is a church and not a bridge. It is the main gateway to the city and is in the historic center. It was built in the 11th century of stone and wood and has a spectacular golden dome on top.
– Saint Sophia Cathedral : It is one of the most beautiful religious places in northern Europe and was the first Ukrainian monument to be declared a World Heritage Site. It was built in the first half of the 11th century and its exterior was restored several times until the 17th century. It has 13 domes.
– Askold’s Tomb : It is on the banks of the Dnieper River and is the exact place where Prince Olleg killed the sons of Kie (Prince Askold and Dir), in the year 882, thanks to which he became king and his reign was very successful despite the methods he used to achieve it. It is one of the most historic places in the city.
– Babiy Yar : Here the thousands of Jews who were killed by the Nazis during World War II are honored and remembered. On this day like tomorrow, September 29, thousands of Jews, locals and tourists gather there to commemorate loved ones who lost their lives at the hands of the Nazis. It is a ravine that served as a common grave.
– Children’s Railway : The favorite tourist attraction of all children who visit the city or who live in it. This is a real train where the little ones can become machinists and actually drive the train. It is for children between 9 and 15 years old.
– Plaza de la Independencia : It is the heart of the city and the most beautiful and busiest square. Here the most important events in the city are held, such as festivals, concerts, gatherings … It has several fountains, monuments and a beautiful artificial waterfall.