In Vuela Viajes we have already spoken on previous occasions about how important it is to discover the gastronomy of each place we visit, a very important part of the culture and traditions of any city, town or country. Today I would like to write about Egyptian gastronomy , which is influenced by cuisines such as Mediterranean, African and Arabic, with which its mixture of flavors and textures is spectacular.
The most characteristic of this gastronomy is that it is very varied, and although it mixes flavors from many cuisines, that mix is always pleasant, with which exquisite dishes are achieved. Among the most used products, the aish stands out, which is a bread made with a dough of different flours. Fuul, fat brown beans that are garnished with lemon, are also seen in many dishes.
Typical dishes of Egypt
– Mezze : it is a starter that is eaten cold and has oriental origin. It is served in small pots and they are similar to the canapés here.
– Mashi : it is a dish made with rice and meat and served with tomato, aubergines, green peppers and grape leaves.
– Tabbouleh : parsley and wheat semolina salad that has a very characteristic slightly acid flavor.
– Hummus : this dish is made with pureed chickpeas and sesame paste.
– Koshari : they are several superimposed layers of rice, macaroni and lentils with tomato sauce.
Typical desserts of Egypt
Among the most famous desserts are those with nuts as the protagonists. The om ali (bread with walnuts, coconut and raisins) and the baklava (a dough filled with walnuts with mead) stand out.
Typical drinks of Egypt
Among the most typical drinks is ersoos (liquor with strong flavor and smell), zahib (similar to pomace) or yasoon (similar to anise).