At Vuela Viajes we have talked on several occasions about how important it is to taste the local cuisine of any place you travel to, undoubtedly a way to get to know any city more thoroughly. Gastronomy is culture, and if it is rich and varied, you will be in a wonderful place where you can discover many things. Today I would like to write about the gastronomy of the Mauritius Islands , an exotic and exclusive place where you will find many delicacies for the palate.
Its mixture of flavors makes for spectacular dishes, and it is a cuisine that is influenced by other international cuisines such as French, Chinese or Indian, which makes the dishes much more varied and original. As basic ingredients it has chicken, rice, fish and seafood, and you can find some of them in practically all the typical dishes of the islands.
Typical dishes of Mauritius
– Rougaille : it is a dish made with a variety of tomato from the islands known as "pommes d’amour" (apples of love). It also has onions, ginger, garlic, peppers and aromatic herbs, and it is always served with meat or fish.
– Fish a la vindaye : it is a marinated fish that is served with a sauce of vinegar, mustard, turmeric with garlic, ginger and peppers. It is served cold and is usually accompanied by rice.
– Paratha : it is a flour bread that is filled with various vegetables, meat or fish, and is always served with various sauces. It is something similar to crepes.
– Mine frit : it is a dish that has a lot of Chinese influence and is made with sauteed noodles, which are cooked in a wok with red sauce, meat and vegetables.
– Biryani : this plant shows the Indian influence and is made from basmati rice with spices and meat or fish. It is always served with a cucumber salad.
In the cuisine of these islands, starters are very important, and among the most famous are the gâteau-piment (it has a ring shape and is made of lentils and pepper) or the samoussa (a triangular shape and filled with vegetables and meat). As for the drinks, the most typical are lassi (yogurt and ice water) and alouda (infusion with agar syrup). Cocktails of exotic drinks and other better known ones such as beer, coffee or rum are also very successful.